Monday, October 29, 2007

Over the Clothesline


The clothesline is full today! One of my favorite things in life is hanging clothes. I know that sounds odd, but really, I love it. I've been hanging clothes most of my life. When I was young, my mom always let me help her, and throughout my married life, I've always hung our wash.
Some days, I get some help. The above photo is my daughter. I must have been too busy that
day. I've taught all my older children how to do laundry and hang clothes. You might think it's a no-brainer, but really, there is a method I like best. Interested? I thought so :)
Here's my tried and true method: I try to hang the heaviest clothes on the back line, like jeans or sweatshirts first. As I go "in", I hang lighter-weight clothes, to lessen the line from drooping. As I work my way to the other end, I hang heavier clothes again. The next line, I like to hang wash cloths, smaller dish towels, underclothing, socks, etc. That way, the air circulates nicely around the clothes.
On the next line(s) I hang towels. That usually takes up one line in itself. If I have other small items, then I use the next line. The next line usually has shirts, PJ's, etc. in the same method as described above.
On days that I dry sheets and occasionally blankets and quilts, I never fold the sheets and use one line. Instead I use two lines to get enough air circulation. Also, when the weather gets colder, I make sure I take the clothes out of the washer, shake, and lay in the laundry basket, in the reverse order I hang. That way my hands aren't frost-bitten before I'm done. See, I told ya, I've put more thought into hanging clothes than I probably should...but there you have it!

No comments: