Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Still Chilly Here-Bring On the Comfort Food


As the weather has gone from an unseasonable 80 degrees to a more seasonable 60, I made a treat for my family last night that would warm our chilled bones; Bread Pudding. It's a comfort food I grew up with and my dad gave me a recipe he found just the other night. I healthed it up a bit as I'm trying to watch the calories. I don't eat any artificial sweeteners, but if you do you could probably cut even more calories than I did.
Bread Pudding
8 slices toasted, lightly buttered low-cal wheat or Italian bread cut into squares
(my dad used regular white bread)
4 eggs, beaten (my dad used 6)
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups milk
3/4 cup raisins
Put toast in 9X13. Mix rest of ingredients with beater and pour over toast. Sprinkle with raisins on top, if desired. Bake at 325 for 1 hour.

2 comments:

Robin said...

YUM!! Hubby's favorite!

Cheryl said...

I love bread pudding. I will have to try this recipe.