Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Nature's Bounty


We have been truly blessed this year with a bountiful garden. We have been so busy picking, canning and freezing the day is gone before we know it. A couple days ago I noticed our pear tree was loaded with beautiful pears. We picked 86 lbs! We peeled, cored and sliced them. We then canned them in the waterbath canner. For some, my husband made pear mince-meat and he canned 6 jars of that. Oh, it's yummy. I'd like to make pies and filled cookies around Christmas time with it. I'm hoping to do the same thing tomorrow; can some and make mincemeat with the rest.

We also have a lot of cabbage in the garden. We picked one today and made coleslaw using our cabbage and our carrots. It was awfully good paired with the grilled cornbread my hubbie made this morning. Do you see why I have mixed feelings about him eventually going back to work? If it weren't for the money thing I think I'd like to keep him home!

We are overloaded with pears and eggs so I made a little stand in front of the house. We have eleven houses on our dead-end street so I don't know if we'll sell too much, but if the neighbors like clean, home-grown food, our little stand is the place to visit!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

WOW, sounds like so much fun. How wonderful to be so blessed with a gracious bounty that you even have enough to share with others. LOL, if i lived on your dead end street I would be at your little stand. Farm fresh eggs and home grown veggies and fruits are the best!

Anonymous said...

it really has been a great year for late fruits - hasn't it! Enjoy the bounty!