Monday, November 7, 2011

Stitchiing, Baking, Daytripping and Relaxation

One of my current finishes, Jane Austen Love Letter by The Sampler Girl
is finally hanging on my husband's closet door. I wanted to complete it for our 28th anniversary in August but didn't quite make it. Well, the intention was there... as well as the sentiment. I changed up the linen and colors a bit to better match our room. It's a bit dark but pretty just the same.



Just before bed, I've been reading quite a bit. I just finished Excellent Wives by Barbara Pym. I liked the book a lot; very Jane Austen(ish) written in the English style I love so much. Just thinking about it makes me want to make myself another cup of tea. The book is quite funny in the usual English, dry humor kind of way. It is a bit anti-Roman Catholic as a the characters are Anglo-Catholic but I found the degrading references rather funny. Nothing too bad, mind you, but to someone else more sensitive it may be annoying. If you can overlook that it's surely worth a read; very relaxing and funny. I'm looking forward to reading more from this author.

I've been promising my little girls that they could Ding-Dong-Ditch the neighbors with some kind of treat. Saturday morning we made the delicious baked doughnuts using this recipe.

They turned out wonderfully and were delicious. My neighbors really enjoyed their unexpected treat and the surprise game of ringing the doorbell, running away and finding a treat at their doorstep. My girls enjoyed the game immensely. All my kids have played this game about twice a year with our neighbors wherever we lived. We always pick neighbors that do not have children living at home any longer. It teaches my kids good will toward others and brings happiness to those that enjoy a little child(ish) humor now and then.

Sunday brought another beautiful day so we headed out to Marlborough, CT for a picnic and stroll through The Old Country Store. What beautiful things they have in there!
Today brings lots of sunshine and cool temps which equals a good incentive to get our schoolwork done early so we can go outside this afternoon and soak up what's left of fall. Mixie, our kitty is enjoying the sunshine on the windowsill right next to the little ones work table. Let the sun shine in! Hope your day is sparkling, too!

1 comment:

Amy E Ekblad said...

Yum! Those donuts look amazing! I think we will have to try them. And I want to read that book too! <3