Sunday, August 9, 2009

Gardens, Pickles and Beans


The front flower garden is in full bloom. The colors are just spectacular.

This picture was taken the other day of my downstairs pantry. There's much more on the counter now and the cupboards are getting rather full.

Green beans just picked and getting ready to be canned.

The cabbages are growing rather nicely.

The carrots are in full swing...

One of two green (pole) bean boxes. The yield on these is unbelievable. We pick every three days!

Gads, I've been canning and freezing like a wild woman. This year our garden is overflowing. So far, we've picked 21 lbs of green beans. I froze four bags, but I really like canned green beans better. So far we've canned 22 quarts! We have pickles coming out of our ears! We have 14 quarts of varying kinds, so far. I've frozen brocolli, kohlrabi, peas, zucchini, scallions, wild black raspberries and 20 lbs of wild blueberries. I've canned spaghetti sauce and baked beans in the pressure canner. I'm telling you, my kitchen has been one busy place! I know all the work will be appreciated come the fall and winter when we eat organic (meaning non-sprayed) home-grown fruits and produce. Oh, and one of my friends invited us to once again this year, pick off her four overflowing peach trees until our hearts are content! Last year, I had a freezer full of peaches and I plan on doing the same this year. I love frozen peaches on oatmeal and in smoothies. She kept me peach eating right through March!
Here are a couple pickle recipes. I've made several different kinds.
Bread and Butter Pickles
7 cups sliced cukes
1 cup diced onion
1 cup green pepper, diced
2 TBS salt
1 TBS celery seed
2 cups sugar
1 Cup white vinegar
Put in very large bowl and leave overnight in 'fridge. Can put in jars and leave in 'fridge. At my house, the bowl was gone in a matter of days; no need to put in jars!

Dill Pickles
8 lbs, cut in lengths cukes
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup salt
1 quart vinegar
1 quart water
3 TBS pickling spices - tie in cheese cloth
One for each jar: peeled clove of garlic, 1 bay leaf, 1 piece hot pepper, 1 sprig dill.
Combine sugar, salt, vinegar, water and bring to a boil. Place tied spices in above solution and boil for 15 minutes. Pack cukes in hot jars, leaving 1/4 " headspace. Ladle hot liquid over cukes. Remove air bubbles. Adjust 2 piece caps and process pints and quarts 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Sue,
What a wonderful bounty you and your family have been blessed with. Wish I was your neighbor so I could learn how to can.
Thanks for posting the pickle recipes. I may just have to try the bread and butter ones. YUMMM!!!

Anonymous said...

I was awestruck by the list of all you've done! I'd love your green bean canning recipe. DO you add anything?

Mrs. Darling said...

Dont ya just love the garden bounty this time of year? I need to go out and pick beans this very minute. Im jealous of the free peaches. They cost an and a leg out here. I still think Im going to get a bushel though and just slice them for the freezer and make jam.

Your cabbages look lovely!