Sunday, August 16, 2009

Jammies Hand Knit Bag and Vintage Bread Bag


Kyle's girlfriend's birthday is in mid-September and I wanted to make her up a little gift. Over the summer, I stopped at a barn sale and found vintage linens for a dollar apiece. I took all they had of these napkins. Two make up a very nice bread bag. I didn't line the bag for two reasons: one I want the bread to breathe so a double layer of fabric wouldn't be good, and two, using a napkin, it's already hemmed so the inside finish is nice and neat.
The jammie bag is just too cute for words. I bought the pattern as a PDF file from I Live on a Farm. I've made several of her patterns and they always come out really nice and her directions are very clear. The pattern comes with directions for all different jar sizes. I will be making more of these for sure.
I plan on making grape jelly as soon as the grapes are ripe. I'll fill the jar with lovely purple sweet stuff and the color coming through the lace holes will be oh, so pretty!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Sue,
you are popping out the sweetest gift giving projects.
I love old textiles too. There is something so charming about them. I often wonder their history. Did the person that acquired them originally love their charm as much as I do?
have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Do you keep your ironing board out all the time? My craft room is a CRAFT/OFFICE room so I have to put things away, which is not good for spontaneity! Very nice fabric...what do you use for under the cover?