Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Making Grape Jelly - A Tutorial


I made some grape jelly this afternoon and thought I'd share "my" recipe (taken from the Ball Blue Book of Preserving)and a little how-to with pictures.

Grape Jelly
1. Select 3 lbs of concord grapes - wash, destem, and take out the bad ones.

2. Mash grapes with hands or masher, as shown above.

3. Add 1 cup of water in large sauce pot, along with the grapes. Cover, and simmer until soft. Strain mixture through a damp jelly bag or several layers of cheesecloth to extract juice.
** At this point, if you want to can the juice, heat juice just to a boil. Ladle hot juice into hot jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Adjust two-piece caps and process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

I did this the following day:
4. Put grape juice in a large sauce pot, as shown above. Add 7 cups sugar, stirring until dissolved. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in one pouch liquid pectin. Return to boil. Boil hard one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam. Ladle hot jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Adjust caps.

5. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. *Excuse the mess... we have a propane cooking thingee in the garage and that's where we use the canner!
That's it... now enjoy your home-made grape jelly on some nice home-baked bread!

2 comments:

Laura Paine Carr said...

why excuse the mess? I love it!!! oohhh, I wish I had a spoonful of that beautiful jelly on a thick slice of that bread, right now! lucky little family!

Mrs. Darling said...

Ya know what? I make tons of jams and stuff but I have never made grape jelly. I really should start. This looks delish!