Thursday, November 4, 2010

A Daytrip to Salem and Sew Nautical Finish

Fall is such a beautiful time of year, don'tchya think? I've been stitching or knitting in the evenings and we've managed to sneak in a few weekend day trips. My most recent finish is Sew Nautical by Carol of istitch. I changed the color of the linen and used silk thread instead of the colors on Carol's original. I finished it as a heavy-weight using the book The Heavy Weights by Judy Odell of Just a Thought. This will be a gift for my brother and sister-in-law to go along with the pillowcases I made over the summer.
We went to Salem, MA the day before Halloween. What a hoot that was! As we walked to The House of Seven Gables we passed some interesting sites. This red house is so typical of the homes we walked by.

This scary view was in front of one of the homes we walked past. There was a sign on the front gate that read, "Please enjoy the display but don't open the gate!" We thought it was quite amusing.

Here is a pic of some of my kiddoes. My oldest son and his fiance didn't make it to Salem quite yet, so we decided to start the day without them. My second son was supposed to come along, too, but sleep seemed like a better deal to him!
This is the side of The House and the street is rather narrow.

This is a pic inside the patio portion of The House. It really does have seven gables! Everyone, and I mean everyone, counted the gables! The tour of the house is quite nice and the trip up the hidden staircase is um.... troubling! If you don't like closed in spaces, this is not the staircase to go up.
Our day was very tiring but so much fun. We didn't do any of the scary stuff as I didn't want my little ones frightened. There was an incredible amount of people and some were dressed as witches, warlocks, warewolves, etc. Most were just playing but some weren't! ...LOL... which was scary in itself! There is a lot of history in Salem, MA, so if you ever have the opportunity to visit, I would. Glouchester is nearby too, and I hear is a beautiful seaport to visit. We tried to get there but the traffic was very heavy by the time we left Salem so we didn't go. My little ones were asleep before we reached the highway! I'll be back soon with a knitting finish and another day trip!




2 comments:

Cheryl said...

sounds like fun. That is one big house with the seven gables.
I have never been that far north before. Thanks for sharing.

As ususal your handwork looks lovely. You must have the patience of a saint. I can't do that kind of handwork anymore. The ole eyes are going.. haha
Looking forward to you sharing your other field trip.

Sharon said...

Lovely finish!