Monday, March 23, 2009

Morning, Noon & Night Exercise


I start my day with a twenty-two minute Pilates routine. I alternate between upper body and lower body workouts. I've been doing this type of exercise for nearly ten years now. It has brought me many hours of stretching and thinking. I don't have the best-looking body on the beach by any means, but I think the Pilates has helped this soon-to-be forty-nine year old, seven kid body keep fairly toned. In addition to this, I also add...

hula hooping. I'm new at this. I've only been using the hula hoop as a form of exercise since January. I do three minute bouts about eight times a day. Eleven is optimum but I always fall short. I get in these short spurts when I come into my room. I usually stop, roll the hoop around my waist for three minutes and move on to whatever I came into the room for. If I don't have time during the day, then at night I will try to hop up during each advertisement for an hour show. By doing that I will get in twenty-two minutes of exercise which is just perfect. I've noticed that the fat pads I had on the back of my hips have nearly vanished! I'm thrilled to pieces about that as they have bothered me for years and no matter how much I exercised, they were still there. My abs are starting to get a nice defnition, too. Must be the hula-hooping.
To this little routine, I add in a forty-five minute walk each evening with my husband. Sometimes we can be found walking at ten o'clock at night. Unless we're sick, we walk. If it's really frigid or hot I'll walk the tread-mill or even the house. I know it may seem like a lot, but really, it's not. This exercise routine has helped me keep up my energy and has done wonders for my mental health. Oh, and let's not forget diet. I don't really DIET as I like to eat and I don't really need to lose weight. But I do make sure I eat a healthy, whole foods diet. Not to say I don't eat sugar or sweets because I do, but I don't eat very much junky stuff. Nearly everything we eat is homemade.
I'm always interested to learn more about healthy living, so please, share with me your exercise routines and your eating habits.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Sue,
Let me just say you look FABULOUS for an almost 49 year old.
We eat mostly stuff I cook or bake from scratch.
Exercise, blech! I don't like it, but as I have gotten older, I find that I HAVE to exercise to keep those lumps and bumps of my backside. I workout on the elyptical three times a week and lift weights the other days. I have bad knees. Used to do a lot of running,but with bad knees can't run on pavement anymore.
Sorry to ramble.

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration! I LOVE your comment about your hips....it's been one of my thorns for so many year - hula-hoop, eh?? Thanks for sharing and encouraging us all to see it can be just part of the day and not some [event] that has to take place.

xo