Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Peek Into My Living Room

We started tearing down wall-paper on Good Friday and had the walls painted and the room back together for Easter Sunday dinner. Boy, was that a lot of work. All the kids helped though, one way or another, and I'm happy with the finished room. The name of the paint is Covington Blue by Benjamin Moore. It's a beautiful color, and depending on how the sun or lack of hits it, changes the color. It's a very calming color. I bought a new picture for over the couch... my one big splurge for the room, oh and area carpet, too; O.K., two splurges for the room. I sewed the valances but still need to make some pillows for the couch and a new runner or something for the coffee table. The linens on the end tables were bought at an antique store for $1.00 each. They're hand embroidered on linen and simply beautiful. It saddens me that people don't appreciate the time, art and talent of hand-work. I think they're beautiful and am happy to have them in my home. So, beware, this post is picture heavy with some work shots along with finished room shots...

Cassidy helping to tear down wallpaper. After wetting and scraping, underneath was a bright yellow paint.

The owners before us must have liked the sunshiny look; funny I don't remember that when we looked at the house.

Kaleigh goofing around. She was a HUGE help, though. We had a lot of laughs, with music blaring and lots of dancing!

My beautiful fireplace. On the mantle is my collection of Hummels. They're delightful.

My finished valances. They're made from a soft yellow calico fabric and give a cottagey, homey feeling to the room.

Here's a view from the couch.

And another from the opposite side of the room. I sat in there last night for two hours; the longest time since we redid the room. I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wow, you have been busy! I love that blue! It makes your trim really pop and it does look an ever so relaxing place to be. I can see why you just sat in there and enjoyed it.

Mrs. Darling said...

Ypu guys sure did a lot of work. The room looks great. I have a room I need to take the wallpaper off of and I just dread it. I hate stuff like that. Once I get at it though it is fun but oh the thought of starting!!